Riverside County Spring reports for NAB

  • Chet McGaugh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2012
      Thanks to all who have reported birds during the Spring 2012 season (1 March - 31 May) I have tried to keep up with the very interesting season in Riverside County, again THANKS to those who report birds to Inlandcountybirds, or Calbirds, or to eBirds, or to Tom Benson and the Rare Bird Alert, and to those who make timely phone calls to get the word out. Great to have an unprecedented number of good birders roaming around in the desert and in the Colorado River Valley! As the birding season is now officially summer, I will be compiling Riverside County spring records for "North American Birds" and submitting these to the regional editors, Guy McCaskie and Kimball Garrett . Note that a significant sighting does not require a rare bird. Departure dates of winter birds, arrival dates and the span of the migratory period for migrants, and unusual locations are noteworthy.

      Please refer to Guy McCaskie's message regarding reporting protocols and note that reports need to be submitted to Kimball and him prior to 21 June. I ask that submissions to me be made by 17 June so I have time to complete the Riverside County report. (I'll send a reminder in a couple of weeks.)

      If you're an eBirder you have surely noticed how many lists (thousands!) are submitted. It is a tremendous database, and getting better all the time but don't assume that once you have submitted an eBird list your good bird will make it into "North American Birds," the journal of ornithological record. If you have a sighting that you think is significant please report it to me via email, phone, or regular mail:

      Chet McGaugh

      194 W. Broadbent Dr

      Riverside, California 92507

      chetmgaugh@...