Labor Day Week Pelagic Trip Off Southern California

  • thunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2012
      Greetings,

      Reservations are now being taken for five days at sea off the coast of southern California aboard the world's most luxurious pelagic birding vessel: SEARCHER, sailing from San Diego on Labor Day, 2012.

      This California Channel Islands and Deep Water Pelagic finds rarities or mega-rarities on nearly every trip (WHITE-CHINNED PETREL in 2011). The diverse array of birds seen from SEARCHER is a result of a diverse itinerary - from near-shore to inter-Channel-islands to the edge of the Continental Shelf.

      Labor Day Week SEARCHER trips from 2003-2010 have amassed an amazing list of species: WHITE-CHINNED PETREL (2011); BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS, Northern Fulmar, MURPHY'S PETREL, COOK'S PETREL, HAWAIIAN PETREL, FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER, Buller's Shearwater, Pink-Footed Shearwater, Sooty Shearwater, Black-vented Shearwater, LEAST STORM-PETREL, Leach's Storm-Petrel, Ashy Storm-Petrel, Black Storm-Petrel, RED-BILLED TROPICBIRD, Red-necked Phalarope, Red Phalarope, South Polar Skua, Pomarine Jaeger, Parasitic Jaeger, Long-tailed Jaeger, Sabine's Gull, Arctic Tern, Pigeon Guillemot, Common Murre, Xantus's Murrelet, Craveri's Murrelet, Cassin's Auklet, Rhinoceros Auklet.

      Both the bird life and marine mammal sightings are exceptional on this annual pelagic. 5 species of whales and 5 species of dolphin would not be considered unusual during this Labor Day week excursion. Add to that flying fish, mola mola, an assortment of shark and a little deep sea fishing, and the trip is fun for everyone, especially a birding enthusiast and a spouse.

      The SEARCHER pelagic consists of 4 solid days at sea, departing on Labor Day (Monday) morning, returning the following Friday morning at dawn. There is nothing quite like being on such a luxurious vessel with like-minded people, all sharing an interest in the wonders of life over the ocean.

      Many birders come from Europe or the east coast of the U.S. to participate in these trips, and many of them do additional birding in SoCal while they're out here. This year SEARCHER has teamed up with the Buena Vista Audubon Society to sponsor a field trip to the Salton Sea led by Todd McGrath on Saturday September 2. This trip is limited exclusively to Searcher registrants.

      SEARCHER departs San Diego on Labor Day morning. We spend the day birding our way up San Diego's famous Nine Mile Bank and other underwater banks, ridges and canyons. The morning of our second day at sea finds us in the northern Channel Islands where Todd McGrath found our White-Chinned Petrel in 2011. From there we travel north and west to the deeper waters, west past Point Conception to Arguello Canyon and perhaps the Rodriguez Dome in search of rarities and marine life.

      The third day finds us in two-mile deep waters where we explore the known pterodroma corridors beyond the San Juan Seamount and other seamounts at and beyond the edge of the Continental Shelf.

      Please join us for a week of fun and adventure while being pampered by the crew
      of SEARCHER. Lots more information on the links below.

      Details & reservation for the SEARCHER Labor Day Week Live-aboard Pelagic:
      http://socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips/searchersep372012.html

      Details of Todd McGrath's "Pre-Pelagic Trip To The Salton Sea" Trip on Sept 2:
      http://socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips/saltonseasep22012.html

      The SEARCHER trip logs contain more detailed information of past trip sightings:
      http://www.bajawhale.com/wildlife-tours/pelagic-birding-tours

      The Status & Distribution of SoCal Pelagic Birds can be viewed at:
      http://socalbirding.com/seabirdreference.html

      Peace on earth.

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
      Life is short. Seabird often.
      In memory of Luke Cole and Mike San Miguel
      "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

      Southern California Seabirding Trips
      by: Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands & Nine Mile Bank
      all the way to the edge of the Continental Shelf

      Our SoCal Pelagic "e-Newsletters"
      http://www.facebook.com/SoCalPelagics
      and
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SoCalBirding

      A Few Of Our Seabird & Marine Mammal Adventures:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC4qRYFdjXo
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABXQwF2vD2w
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8UdCYAOax0
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyb8fBCsP0s