Re: [CALBIRDS] Red-crowned Parrots

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hi Rusty,

      At 09:37 AM 2001-08-01 -0700, Russell Scalf wrote:
      >My recent post came up blank. No idea why.

      It looked like your last message was sent as an attachment rather than
      imbedded text.

      >I just asked if anything is known about the natural history of Red-crowned
      >Parrots in California.
      >
      >What food resources are they exploiting? Where are they nesting?

      Check out the web site Kimball referenced - www.parrotproject.org

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34*09'02" N, 118*22'47" W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
        At 09:37 AM 8/1/01 -0700, Russell Scalf wrote:

        >I just asked if anything is known about the natural history of Red-crowned
        Parrots in California.

        >What food resources are they exploiting? Where are they nesting?
        >
        > -Rusty Scalf

        Rusty:

        As always, Western Birds is the best place to check for natural
        history information on birds of the region. See v. 28 no. 4 (1997)
        which is almost entirely devoted to parrot populations in
        California, including two papers by Karen Mabb on nesting and
        roosting of parrots (particularly Red-crowned Parrots) in the
        San Gabriel Valley and a multi-authored paper on foods of naturalized
        parrot populations.

        We've learned a lot since that publication, with various
        studies in the works that will ultimately be published.

        -- Kimball
        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.