Re: [CALBIRDS] Dead Owls along I-5

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15 3:31 PM
      It's not just an issue in the lowlands. Some work a few years ago on Bald Eagles up Feather River Canyon (I think) found several dead Saw-Whet Owls in their eyries, presumably picked up by the eagles as roadkill.

      Steve Hampton, Ph.D.
      ________________
      Resource Economist
      Office of Spill Prevention and Response
      California Dept of Fish and Game
      PO Box 944209
      Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
      -----------------------------------
      (916) 323-4724 phone
      (916) 324-8829 fax

      >>> Zachary Smith <zsgavilan@...> 5/15/2012 2:13 PM >>>
      Some work has been done on this. I can't find the whole article, as it was
      part of a conference. One of these guys did work through UC Davis on the
      issue...which is pretty serious.

      http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=475856

      Zach Smith
      Davis, Ca.

      On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Might be a neat article explaining the problem in a local magazine or
      > Newspaper article (Sac Bee or ?)
      >
      > That might get a grant/student research project or something that might
      > help with answers and possible fixes.
      >
      > Bob Yutzy
      > Shasta, CA
      >
      > On 5/15/2012 9:38 AM, Nancy Kenyon wrote:
      > > Thank you for the many replies I received about the owls
      > > being killed along I-5 in the central valley. Sadly, there
      > > doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it.
      > >
      > > Nancy Kenyon
      > > Irvine

      > > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
      > these addresses:
      > > Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
      > > Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links