Re: [CALBIRDS] Dead Owls along I-5

  • Zachary Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2012
      Some work has been done on this. I can't find the whole article, as it was
      part of a conference. One of these guys did work through UC Davis on the
      issue...which is pretty serious.

      http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=475856

      Zach Smith
      Davis, Ca.

      On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Might be a neat article explaining the problem in a local magazine or
      > Newspaper article (Sac Bee or ?)
      >
      > That might get a grant/student research project or something that might
      > help with answers and possible fixes.
      >
      > Bob Yutzy
      > Shasta, CA
      >
      > On 5/15/2012 9:38 AM, Nancy Kenyon wrote:
      > > Thank you for the many replies I received about the owls
      > > being killed along I-5 in the central valley. Sadly, there
      > > doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it.
      > >
      > > Nancy Kenyon
      > > Irvine

      > > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
      > these addresses:
      > > Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
      > > Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Bob& Carol Yutzy
      > Shasta, CA

    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2012
        It's not just an issue in the lowlands. Some work a few years ago on Bald Eagles up Feather River Canyon (I think) found several dead Saw-Whet Owls in their eyries, presumably picked up by the eagles as roadkill.

        Steve Hampton, Ph.D.
        ________________
        Resource Economist
        Office of Spill Prevention and Response
        California Dept of Fish and Game
        PO Box 944209
        Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
        -----------------------------------
        (916) 323-4724 phone
        (916) 324-8829 fax

        >>> Zachary Smith <zsgavilan@...> 5/15/2012 2:13 PM >>>
        Some work has been done on this. I can't find the whole article, as it was
        part of a conference. One of these guys did work through UC Davis on the
        issue...which is pretty serious.

        http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=475856

        Zach Smith
        Davis, Ca.

        On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Might be a neat article explaining the problem in a local magazine or
        > Newspaper article (Sac Bee or ?)
        >
        > That might get a grant/student research project or something that might
        > help with answers and possible fixes.
        >
        > Bob Yutzy
        > Shasta, CA
        >
        > On 5/15/2012 9:38 AM, Nancy Kenyon wrote:
        > > Thank you for the many replies I received about the owls
        > > being killed along I-5 in the central valley. Sadly, there
        > > doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it.
        > >
        > > Nancy Kenyon
        > > Irvine

        > > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
        > these addresses:
        > > Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
        > > Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links