Black-bellied Whistling Duck Tulare County

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2012
      Rob Doster just called me. He is looking at an unbanded Black-bellied Whistling Duck at the Toledo Pits in Tulare County. These wetlands are at the intersection of Ave 144 and Road 72 sw of the town of Tipton which is along Hwy 99.

      John Sterling

      26 Palm Ave
      Woodland, CA 95695
      530 908-3836
      jsterling@...

      www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)
    • Steve & Priscilla Summers
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2012
        The Tulare Co. Black-bellied Whistling Duck was last seen at 4:34 pm flying
        off to the east and out of sight. In the next half hour it did not return.
        The bird was in a state water impoundment known locally at the "Toledo
        Pits". Some folks will be there in the morning to see if it returned.
        Photos show that the bird is not banded. It was wary and a strong flyer.
        There are four diked impoundments, the bird was last in the small drying up
        pond in the southeast corner of the northeast impoundment. If anyone else
        is interested in checking in the morning you can plug these coordinates
        (36.054810 -119.402806) into Google Earth or Maps to see its last location.
        If you do go there the nw pond is a large nesting area for Tricolored
        Blackbirds and White-faced Ibis (100s of both species) plus Great-tailed
        Grackles...please do not disturb these nesting colonies.

        Steve Summers
        Porterville, CA

        Rob Doster just called me. He is looking at an unbanded Black-bellied
        Whistling Duck at the Toledo Pits in Tulare County. These wetlands are at
        the intersection of Ave 144 and Road 72 sw of the town of Tipton which is
        along Hwy 99.

        John Sterling

        26 Palm Ave
        Woodland, CA 95695
        530 908-3836
        jsterling@...

        www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Elias Elias
        Message 3 of 4 , May 24, 2012
          The black-belly is present 16:30 on Thursday 24 May.

          Follow Steve's directions below.

          Flock on!

          Elias/Ηλίας
          Arcata CA/San Diego CA
          Walkie talkie primero 707-633-8833
          Last ditch alternate 559-433-7254

        • cdlou37@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 4 , May 25, 2012
            The Black-bellied whistling duck in the NE quarter of the diked ponds. In this quadrant, it is in the se corner.
            1030am.
            Calvin Lou
            San Francisco
            Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless