Re: [CALBIRDS] Dead Owls along I-5

  • Bob & Carol Yutzy
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2012
      Might be a neat article explaining the problem in a local magazine or
      Newspaper article (Sac Bee or ?)

      That might get a grant/student research project or something that might
      help with answers and possible fixes.

      Bob Yutzy
      Shasta, CA

      --
      Bob& Carol Yutzy
      Shasta, CA

    • Zachary Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2012
        Some work has been done on this. I can't find the whole article, as it was
        part of a conference. One of these guys did work through UC Davis on the
        issue...which is pretty serious.

        http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=475856

        Zach Smith
        Davis, Ca.

        On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Might be a neat article explaining the problem in a local magazine or
        > Newspaper article (Sac Bee or ?)
        >
        > That might get a grant/student research project or something that might
        > help with answers and possible fixes.
        >
        > Bob Yutzy
        > Shasta, CA
        >
        > On 5/15/2012 9:38 AM, Nancy Kenyon wrote:
        > > Thank you for the many replies I received about the owls
        > > being killed along I-5 in the central valley. Sadly, there
        > > doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it.
        > >
        > > Nancy Kenyon
        > > Irvine

        > > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
        > these addresses:
        > > Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
        > > Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > --
        > Bob& Carol Yutzy
        > Shasta, CA

      • Steve Hampton
        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2012
          It's not just an issue in the lowlands. Some work a few years ago on Bald Eagles up Feather River Canyon (I think) found several dead Saw-Whet Owls in their eyries, presumably picked up by the eagles as roadkill.

          Steve Hampton, Ph.D.
          ________________
          Resource Economist
          Office of Spill Prevention and Response
          California Dept of Fish and Game
          PO Box 944209
          Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
          -----------------------------------
          (916) 323-4724 phone
          (916) 324-8829 fax

          >>> Zachary Smith <zsgavilan@...> 5/15/2012 2:13 PM >>>
          Some work has been done on this. I can't find the whole article, as it was
          part of a conference. One of these guys did work through UC Davis on the
          issue...which is pretty serious.

          http://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=475856

          Zach Smith
          Davis, Ca.

          On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Might be a neat article explaining the problem in a local magazine or
          > Newspaper article (Sac Bee or ?)
          >
          > That might get a grant/student research project or something that might
          > help with answers and possible fixes.
          >
          > Bob Yutzy
          > Shasta, CA
          >
          > On 5/15/2012 9:38 AM, Nancy Kenyon wrote:
          > > Thank you for the many replies I received about the owls
          > > being killed along I-5 in the central valley. Sadly, there
          > > doesn't seem to be anything we can do about it.
          > >
          > > Nancy Kenyon
          > > Irvine

          > > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
          > these addresses:
          > > Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
          > > Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links