Re: Dead Owls(?) on I-5

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 13 , May 15, 2012
      It’s been suggested to me that irrigation water applied in dry environments concentrates animal life, and when it’s close to busy roads this is the result. The solution is to maintain an irrigation-free buffer along highways. Good luck with that.

      Ken Burton
      Arcata/McKinleyville

    • Bob Barnes
      Message 2 of 13 , May 15, 2012
        Nancy, et. al.:

        One of the integrated pest management techniques being passed on to
        farmers in the Central Valley is the recommendation to install nest
        boxes to attract Barn Owls to help control the rodent population. I
        have seen numerous Barn Owl boxes which have been placed in
        agricultural fields alongside Interstate 5. Assuming those boxes have
        been successful in attracting Barn Owls, some to many of the owls
        attracted or produced in such close proximity to I-5 could lead to
        the mortality noted by people travelling that highway.

        Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California

      • Sally Walters & Don Schmoldt
        Message 3 of 13 , May 15, 2012
          Add Burrowing owls - smaller brown and blend into the sub-straight therefore easy to miss.

          SallyWalters & DonSchmoldt
          Sacramento County, Ca
          BajaOwl@...

          On May 15, 2012, at 12:14 AM, Nick & Mary Freeman wrote:

          > Hi Birders
          >
          > When we've traveled the I5 north (especially the central valley), Barn Owls are the most commonly seen road kills along the route. The rodent population in these fields are rich and is the case, the owls are too focused after their prey and frequently fall victims to speeding car encounters. The bright lights at night may cause the owls to become confused with high speeding cars and sadly, are killed. As may be the case, there may likely be a spike in the rodent population with a breeding season thus - more owls in the hunt mode. Short-eared owls may be other victims along the interstate as they also frequent open fields alongside the roadway.
          >
          > Mary Freeman
          > Glendale, CA

        • Rich Stallcup
          Message 4 of 13 , May 15, 2012
            This owl mortality along I-5 has been going on for decades
            and we always understood that the cause was uncovered
            truckloads of grain.

            The grain blows off the speeding trucks
            and onto the roadbed thus attracting inordinate numbers
            of rodents. That attracts the owls which, in turn are wacked
            by the next trucks.

            This part of the problem CAN be fixed by diligent campaigning
            to seal loads of grain.

            BajaOwl@...<mailto:BajaOwl%40Gmail.com>

            On May 15, 2012, at 12:14 AM, Nick & Mary Freeman wrote:

            > Hi Birders
            >
            > When we've traveled the I5 north (especially the central valley), Barn Owls are the most commonly seen road kills along the route. The rodent population in these fields are rich and is the case, the owls are too focused after their prey and frequently fall victims to speeding car encounters. The bright lights at night may cause the owls to become confused with high speeding cars and sadly, are killed. As may be the case, there may likely be a spike in the rodent population with a breeding season thus - more owls in the hunt mode. Short-eared owls may be other victims along the interstate as they also frequent open fields alongside the roadway.
            >
            > Mary Freeman
            > Glendale, CA

          • Nick Freeman
            Message 5 of 13 , May 15, 2012
              Message 6 of 13 , May 15, 2012
                Hi Rich and All,

                I have seen the CHP pull over main big rigs for uncovered gravel loads, etc... I would assume they would do the same with grain as that can be a road hazard to other drivers. I have called CHP acouple of times about local road hazards and they are always quick to respond. CHP considers road hazards a 911 call so we can use call boxes if we which to stop and report trucks with loose uncovered grain to hopefully slow down this issue. If enough truckers are sited with loose loads maybe the word will get around .....

                Good Birding,

                Doug Shaw
                Santa Rosa, CA

                Add Burrowing owls - smaller brown and blend into the sub-straight therefore easy to miss.

                SallyWalters & DonSchmoldt
                Sacramento County, Ca
                BajaOwl@...<mailto:BajaOwl%40Gmail.com>

                On May 15, 2012, at 12:14 AM, Nick & Mary Freeman wrote:

                > Hi Birders
                >
                > When we've traveled the I5 north (especially the central valley), Barn Owls are the most commonly seen road kills along the route. The rodent population in these fields are rich and is the case, the owls are too focused after their prey and frequently fall victims to speeding car encounters. The bright lights at night may cause the owls to become confused with high speeding cars and sadly, are killed. As may be the case, there may likely be a spike in the rodent population with a breeding season thus - more owls in the hunt mode. Short-eared owls may be other victims along the interstate as they also frequent open fields alongside the roadway.
                >
                > Mary Freeman
                > Glendale, CA

              • Jon
                Message 7 of 13 , May 15, 2012
                  There is more to it than loose grain loads.

                  Jon Winter

                  Add Burrowing owls - smaller brown and blend into the sub-straight therefore
                  easy to miss.

                  SallyWalters & DonSchmoldt
                  Sacramento County, Ca
                  BajaOwl@...<mailto:BajaOwl%40Gmail.com>

                  On May 15, 2012, at 12:14 AM, Nick & Mary Freeman wrote:

                  > Hi Birders
                  >
                  > When we've traveled the I5 north (especially the central valley), Barn
                  > Owls are the most commonly seen road kills along the route. The rodent
                  > population in these fields are rich and is the case, the owls are too
                  > focused after their prey and frequently fall victims to speeding car
                  > encounters. The bright lights at night may cause the owls to become
                  > confused with high speeding cars and sadly, are killed. As may be the
                  > case, there may likely be a spike in the rodent population with a breeding
                  > season thus - more owls in the hunt mode. Short-eared owls may be other
                  > victims along the interstate as they also frequent open fields alongside
                  > the roadway.
                  >
                  > Mary Freeman
                  > Glendale, CA

                  these addresses:

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Zachary Smith
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 15, 2012
                    I remember an NPR story a few years ago about some road mortality research
                    going on in Idaho. Interesting if nothing else. Lo and behold, I found it.
                    Linked here:

                    http://www.prx.org/pieces/23188-the-mysterious-death-of-the-barn-owl

                    Zach Smith
                    Davis, Ca.

                  • Christopher Stevenson
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 18, 2012
                      I work for Caltrans in Los Angeles. The maintenance div. is most likely people to know more as they handled any roadkills, and in some areas they report this data to wildlife agencies.
                      I will forward this to the central valley district t see if they can help or have any insight.

                      Christopher Stevenson
                      CT Biologist.