Read this FIRST. Virus detected on attachment from Hewitt, subject: Hewitt,

  • Patrick McNulty
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2002
      Calbirders,

      Use caution if you have received a message from Robert Hewitt, subject: Robert W. Hewitt. When my mailer attempted to open the attachment called Eureka.bat, I received this message from the virus scanner on our network:

      Scan type: Realtime Protection Scan
      Event: Virus Found!
      Virus name: W32.Magistr.39921@mm
      File: C:\TEMP\GWViewer\Eureka.bat
      Location: C:\TEMP\GWViewer
      User: mcnulty-p
      Action taken: Clean succeeded : Access allowed
      Date found: Tue May 07 12:49:34 2002

      The message content was about Marbled Murrelet surveys in Humboldt County using radar. Although Calbird was not mentioned anywhere on the post, my suspicion is that it was sent to me (BC:) because I'm on Calbird. Viruses often go grab the address file of an infected user and send out copies of themselves, without the user knowing anything about it, and I can think of no other reason why this message would have been posted to me. In any event, if I got one, I'll bet that many others on Calbird will get them too.

      My apologies to any who may think this is not appropriate to post to Calbird. This is NOT a vague warning about some demon virus hoax, this is about a specific real virus (W32.Magistr) which I just received and I'll wager that many others on this list have also just recieved.

      Patrick

      Patrick McNulty Phone: (805) 893-4165
      Assoc. Registrar, Systems Fax: (805) 893-2985
      UC Santa Barbara E-Mail: mcnulty-p@...
      Santa Barbara, CA 93106