SoCal rookery census, 2012 - help wanted

  • dan_cooper_90042
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2012
      Hi all,

      I'm working with PRBO Conservation Science this spring to map and census heron/egret/cormorant rookeries throughout southwestern California (Goleta to San Diego, inland to the mountains). With the help of some expert contacts and BBA/ebird info, I've compiled a list of known recent/current sites, as well as some suspected ones below, by county.

      If anyone has recent information on the "suspected" sites and would be willing to share this information, please pass it along. You will be acknowledged in the report, and will help guide our searches during May and June. (I'm not including Santa Barbara/Ventura below since I have a good handle on those sites.)

      And, if you are interested in helping census any of these sites this spring, please contact me offline.

      Thanks for you time,

      Dan Cooper
      Oak Park, CA
      dan AT cooperecological.com

      Known recent/current:

      Sepulveda Basin
      SGR Spreading Grounds/Pico Rivera
      Legg Lake
      Malibu Lagoon/Country Mart
      Marina del Rey
      Chatsworth Reservoir
      Hansen Dam
      Silverlake Reservoir
      Cogswell Res.
      Naples/Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
      LA/LB Harbor (Navy Mole, Pier 400, Signal St, Terminal Isl. Customhouse., Heim Bridge)
      Belmont Shore/Ocean Blvd., Long Beach
      Shoreline Dr., Long Beach
      Queen Mary, Long Beach
      Bonelli Park

      Santa Clara River
      Castaic Lagoon
      Malibou Lake
      Ken Malloy Harbor Reg. Park
      Colorado Lagoon, LB
      El Dorado Park
      La Mirada/Clark Park

      Known recent/current:

      Bolsa Chica
      Mile Square Park
      Huntington Central Park/Shipley NC
      Burris Basin
      Conrock Pit
      "Field HQ" (Orange Co. Water D.)/was "SA River Lakes"
      Anaheim Lake
      Laguna Niguel RP
      Dana Point Harbor/Doheny SB
      Seal Beach (incl. NWR and residential)
      Carr Park
      Mission Viejo Lake

      Sunset Beach
      Huntington Beach Wetlands
      San Joaquin Marsh
      Upper Newport Bay
      Newport Harbor
      Santa Ana River mouth
      Villa Park Flood Control Basin
      Peters Cyn Reservoir
      Santiago Oaks RP
      Irvine Lake
      Yorba Regional Park
      Craig Regional Park
      Laguna Woods/Aliso Viejo
      Mason Reg. Park

      Known recent/current:

      Lk Hemet
      Lake Elsinore
      Fisherman's Retreat, San Timoteo Cyn
      Reflection Lk RV Park (Hemet)
      Prado Basin

      Vail Lake
      San Jacinto River
      Temescal Wash
      Canyon Lake
      Lake Skinner
      Lake Mathews
      Lake Perris
      Hemet-SJ WTP
      SJWA/Mystic Lk
      Hidden Valley WA
      Anza Narrows
      Rubidoux NC
      Fairmont Park
      Yucaipa Regional Park
      Guasti Regional Park

      Known recent/current:

      Sta. Marg. River, Fallbrook
      Temecula Cr, Oak Grove
      O'Neill Lk (Camp Pendelton)
      West Fork Conservation Camp
      Point Loma (Sub. Base)
      Point Loma (Navy Research Lab)
      North Island NAS
      32nd St. Naval Sta., SD Bay
      Saltworks, SD Bay
      Guajome RP
      Highland Dr. at Oak Ave., Carlsbad
      Batiquitos Lagoon (north side)
      Escondido Cr at La Bajada, RSF
      San Dieguito River mouth
      San Diego River mouth/estuary
      Penasquitos Lagoon
      Solana Beach, corner Plaza St. and Sierra Ave.
      San Luis Rey River mouth (Jolly Roger Rest.)/Oceanside Harbor
      Rattlesnake Valley
      Pine Valley
      Lk Wohlford
      SD Safari Park ("Heart of Africa" exhibit)
      Santee Lks
      Lindo Lk
      El Capitan Res
      Lk Henshaw
      Sea World/Mission Bay ("Forbidden Reef" exhibit)
      Scripps Inst. Of Oceanography
      La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club
      Sweetwater Res.
      Spreckels Park, Coronado
      Hitachi Crane, National City
      Chula Vista (power plant)

      Whelan Lk
      Calavera Lk
      Ramona Pond
      Lk Hodges
      Dixon Lk
      Lk Miramar
      Lk Jennings
      Mast Park/SD River
      Kit Carson Park
      Lake Morena
      Lk Sutherland
      Lk Murray
      Kumeyaay Lk
      Point La Jolla
      San Luis Rey River valley east of I-15 (incl. Keys, Couser Cyn.?)
      Dairy Mart Pond
      Tijuana Slough
      Famosa Slough