90 Swainson's hawks spring migration Buttonwillow

  • bethggro
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2012
      On April 17 while driving north on I-5 we saw a kettle of Swainson's hawks on the field northeast of the Buttonwillow exit in Kern County. We pulled over and counted 30 Swainson's overhead and 60 sitting in the field. There were also a dozen or so egrets on the ground. The field was not under active cultivation, but looked like it was overgrown from last year; it was covered with short green plants/weeds. No other kettles seen near I-5 between Grapevine and SF Bay Area. Where else has anyone seen large kettles of Swainson's during their spring migration up the central valley? Thanks. Beth Kean, Oakland CA