Mon/Tue Off CA: MUPE, COPE, LAAL, LTJA, PAAU, TUPU, HOPU

  • thunefeld
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18 12:37 PM
      MUPE: MURPHY'S PETREL
      COPE: COOK'S PETREL
      LAAL: LAYSAN ALBIE
      LTJA: L.T. JAEGER
      PAAU: PARAKEET AUKLET
      TUPU: TUFTED PUFFIN
      HOPU: HORNED PUFFIN

      Greetings,

      Paul Lehman just telephoned via cell phone from aboard the Holland America cruise ship Oosterdam. Paul and a contingent of about 15 birders from California, Washington and Oregon are aboard a repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver, B.C. Following is a brief summary of some of the California sightings that Paul thought would be of interest to CA birders.

      The voyage departed Sunday evening April 15 from San Diego and made its way up the coast near the shelf edge about 40 – 50 n. mi. offshore. On Monday between San Miguel Island and Point Arguello they recorded 3 Cook's Petrels, a Laysan Albatross and a Tufted Puffin. Two Horned Puffins were spotted by some of the group off San Mateo county.

      Dawn Tuesday found the intrepid birders off southern Humboldt County where they recorded more than 200 Parakeet Auklets, 5 Murphy's Petrels, 3 Laysan Albies and a Horned Puffin before entering Oregon waters. "Good numbers" of Sabine's Gulls, about 10 Long-tailed Jaegers and a couple of Arctic Terns were surprising given how early we are in spring migration. Also of note were 2000 -3000 Leach's Storm-Petrels. Murphy's Petrel totals for the day: about 12.

      Paul was in the Straight of Juan de Fuca when he called as the ship made her way to port in Port Angeles WA. They will get in some land birding before re-departing this evening for Canada. Tomorrow morning they will arrive in Vancouver B.C. then return by air to sunny San Diego when we'll look for a fuller report.

      Well, the pelagic birds are moving already. They're out there and we're going to go a-looking this spring! On April 28 the Condor Express will be in search of all of the above plus other rarities on it's annual spring 13-hour pelagic from Santa Barbara. Then on May 19, Grande will sail on a 13-hour trip from San Diego with the same objective. A wonderful three-day trip is planned on Searcher, the most luxurious pelagic birding boat in the world, on it's annual 3-day Memorial Day trip May 26-28 in search for great pelagic birds and interesting marine life.

      Condor Express trip: http://socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips/santabarbaraapril28.html
      Grande Trip: http://socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips/sandiegomay192012.html
      Searcher Trip: http://socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips/sandiegomay26282012.html
      All upcoming SoCal pelagic trips: http://socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips.html

      Come on out with us, and see what' out there!

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
      Life is short. Seabird often.
      In memory of Michelle "Shellie" Matson, Mike San Miguel and Luke Cole

      Southern California Seabirding Trips
      by: Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands & Nine Mile Bank
      all the way to the edge of the Continental Shelf
    • Todd
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18 7:04 PM
        Birders,

        In his last post, Terry mentioned the upcoming Aopril 28 Condor Express Trip. This trip is completely sold out. We will be running a deepwater trip July 28. Hopefully it will be another great pelagic year off CA.

        Todd McGrath
        SKUA@...