Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: Lawrence's Goldfinches--what's going on?

  • Nick & Mary Freeman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 17, 2012
      Hi Birders

      When Nick and I were first granted a permit by the USFS to survey
      owls in the San Gabriel mountains above Los Angeles post-Station Fire
      in 2010, every daytime visit we made that spring into summer,
      Lawrence's Goldfinches were one of the most commonly encountered
      species on the Angeles Crest. We were allowed to survey sites closed
      off to the public. Hillsides were covered in a riot of wildflower
      display. On some of the slopes that weren't burned into oblivion,
      fiddleneck was a common plant species. At those sites, Larry's golds
      were omnipresent. We'd encounter small flocks of Larry's flying over
      the highway during that summer. But 15 years back, I remember the few
      reports of Larry's Golds making news on Bird Box. Now, Lawrence's
      Goldfinches are pretty reliable in favorable habitat that yield
      patches of fiddleneck.

      Good Birding!

      Mary Freeman
      Glendale, CA