CA Nene

  • Mitch H
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2002
      Hi all,

      An unbanded Nene was at Ken Malloy Harbor Reg.Pk. (Harbor Pk.) in southern L.A.Co.
      in the mid 1990's. It would show up each
      year in July, and depart in January. Like
      clockwork....like a migratory birds' schedule.
      It did this 3 years consecutive.

      Surely Nene evolved from a migratory goose.
      And surely they could stop, rest, and maybe
      even feed if one should choose to head off
      and explore parts unknown from HI. I'm not
      suggesting that might occur, just that it
      is possible in theory, since they could indeed swim, float, rest, etc.. I thought they were
      somewhat weak distance fliers though....

      We recorded ours on the CBC, but lacked the
      fortitude to turn it in! A picture of it is at
      http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/pelagics/HPHOTO6.html

      I thought Sea World had some, as well as a
      private breeder or two here in CA. We would
      expect them all to be banded though....

      Sure is a pretty goose!

      Let me know if I can count it, or got a
      county bird! :):):)