9796Re: Crested Caracara at Ballona Wetlands (Area A)

  • Christopher Taylor
    Jan 13, 2012
      Per Dany's note at 11AM, the Crested Caracara was perched in a tree just
      south of Jefferson Blvd. within the Ballona Freshwater Marsh. It was
      there until around 11:30AM when it flew west and landed in another tree.
      It perched there for around 10 minutes when a Red-tailed Hawk started
      harassing it and caused it to take flight again.

      We all observed as it circled over Ballona higher and higher and
      eventually toward the Marina. When I left at 11:45AM it was at least
      10,000' above the Marina del Rey area - probably right above my house.

      I took some photos and video. If you're interested in seeing the video
      footage, please e-mail me privately.

      http://kiwifoto.com/f/caracara_ballona_011312

      In regards to this being the same bird(s) in the SD area, I think it
      might be more likely to be the same Caracara that was observed at the
      Pt. Mugu Naval Station in Ventura Co. between Dec 20th and (last eBird
      sighting) on Jan 6th.

      For those not familiar with the area, here's a link to a map of the
      Ballona Freshwater Marsh - hopefully it will stay in the area.

      http://g.co/maps/8fq92

      --
      Christopher Taylor
      Marina del Rey, CA