7599North American Birds Fall Reminder

  • Steve Glover
    Dec 5, 2008
      December 1, 2008

      Dear North American Birds Contributors,

      The fall season has already come to a close so please send your noteworthy records from the Northern California Region for the period 1 August – 30 November to the appropriate Subregional Editors (see below) or to the Regional Editors by 10 December.

      Please pay special attention to the format example given at the end of this message. Reports that are formatted properly make our job far easier. In particular, it is important to note that there is a single tab between species, date, etc.

      PLEASE use Subregional Editors for the counties that have them. These SREs painstakingly keep track of records within their counties and are in most cases THE source of information on the birds of their counties. By sending your records to the SREs, you are helping to contribute to their county files as well as to North American Birds. If you wish to send copies to the Regional Editors, we welcome them, but please send records through the SREs as well. If you have a noteworthy winter sighting from a county without a Subregional Editor, please send records to the Regional Editors below.

      Records of loons-frigatebirds and larids-alcids go to Steve Rottenborn at:
      H.T. Harvey & Associates
      983 University Ave., Bldg. D
      Los Gatos, CA 95032
      srottenborn@...

      Records of waterfowl through quail and herons through shorebirds go to Mike Rogers at:
      499 Novato Ave.
      Sunnyvale, CA 94086
      m.m.rogers@...

      Records of doves through thrushes/Wrentit (in the new AOU order that includes vireos and shrikes) go to Steve Glover at:
      6526 Conestoga Lane
      Dublin, CA 94568
      countylines@...

      Records of thrashers to finches go to Ed Pandolfino at:

      5530 Delrose Court
      Carmichael, CA 95608
      erpfromca@...

      SUBREGIONAL EDITORS

      Alameda
      Bob Richmond
      24650 Amador St. #15
      Hayward, CA 94544
      Brichmond94544@...

      Alpine, Calaveras & Modoc
      John Sterling
      29 Palm Ave.
      Woodland, CA 95695
      jsterling@...

      Amador & El Dorado
      Tim Steurer
      4042 Bancroft Dr.
      El Dorado Hills, CA 95762-6933
      tsteurer@...

      Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Sutter, Tehama, Yuba
      Bruce Deuel
      18730 Live Oak Road
      Red Bluff, CA 96080
      bdeuel@...

      Contra Costa
      Steve Glover
      6526 Conestoga Lane
      Dublin CA 94568
      countylines@...

      Del Norte
      Alan D. Barron
      1093 Hwy 101 N. #18
      Crescent City, CA 95531
      flockfinder@...

      Fresno
      Gary W. Potter
      2183 Walton Ave
      Sanger, CA 93657
      gwpott@...

      Humboldt
      Rob Fowler
      2277 Heather Lane, Apt. D
      Arcata, CA 95521
      migratoriusfwlr@...

      Kings
      Luke Cole
      561 Hill Street
      San Francisco, CA 94114
      luke@...

      Lake
      Jerry R. White
      P.O. Box 113
      Kelseyville, CA 95451
      grwhite@...

      Lassen
      Brad Stovall
      Stovall Associates
      P.O. Box 4413
      Chico, CA 95927
      Bmspi1@...

      Madera
      Jeff Davis
      11238 N Via Trevisio Way
      Fresno, CA 93730
      jndavis@...

      Marin
      Ryan Terrill
      1619 El Dorado Street
      Santa Cruz, CA 95062
      enicurus@...

      Mariposa
      David Vander Pluym
      1683 Buena Vista St.
      Ventura, CA 93001
      SCRE@...

      Mendocino
      Bob Keiffer
      P. O. Box 354
      Hopland CA 95449
      rjkeiffer@...

      Merced and San Benito
      Kent Van Vuren
      26 Vista Dr.
      Salinas, CA 93907
      vanvurenk@...

      Mono
      Kristie Nelson
      P.O. Box 402
      Lee Vining, CA 93541
      storm_petrel@...

      Monterey
      Don Roberson
      282 Grove Acre
      Pacific Grove CA 93950
      831-373-2566fax
      creagrus@...

      Napa
      Murray Berner
      210 Monte Vista
      Napa, CA 94558
      (707) 224-5897
      vireocity@...

      Nevada
      Rudy Darling
      12143 Big Blue Road
      Nevada City, CA 95959
      rdarling@...

      Placer
      Ed Pandolfino
      5530 Del Rose Court
      Carmichael, CA 95608
      erpfromca@...

      Plumas & Sierra
      John "Mac" McCormick
      1230 Dog Leg Dr.
      Chico, CA 95928
      macmc94123@...

      Sacramento
      Chris Conard
      2405 Rio Bravo Circle
      Sacramento, CA 95826
      conardc@...

      San Francisco (mainland)
      The City: Mark Eaton
      1524 36th Avenue
      San Francisco, CA 94122
      mweaton@...

      San Francisco (Farallons)
      Jim Tietz
      P.O. Box 751
      Arcata, CA, 95518
      jmtietz@...

      San Joaquin
      Frances Oliver
      1817 Songbird Place
      Lodi, CA 95240
      Hummer52@...

      San Mateo
      Peter J. Metropulos
      2940 Turk Blvd.
      San Francisco, CA 94118
      pjmetrop@...

      Santa Clara
      William G. Bousman
      321 Arlington Way
      Menlo Park CA 94025
      barlowi@...

      Santa Cruz
      David Suddjian and Steve Gerow
      801 Monterey Ave.
      Capitola, CA 95010
      DSUDDJIAN@...
      Stephengerow@...

      Shasta
      Bob Yutzy
      P. O. Box 990237
      Redding CA 96099
      boby@...

      Siskiyou
      Ray Ekstrom
      2209 Delphic Rd.
      Montague, CA 96064

      Solano
      Robin Leong
      336 Benson Ave.
      Vallejo, CA 94590-3027
      robin_leong@...

      Sonoma
      Ruth Rudesill
      P.O. Box 371
      Kenwood, CA 95452
      ruthier@...

      Stanislaus
      Harold Reeves
      birder@...

      Trinity
      John E. Hunter
      P.O. Box 4483
      Arcata, CA 95518
      jhunter323@...

      Tulare
      Steven Summers
      2553 W. Michelle Ln.
      Porterville, CA 93257
      summers@...

      Tuolumne
      Steven Umland
      15818 Parkridge Ave.
      Sonora, CA 95370
      sumland@...

      Yolo
      Roger Adamson
      2213 Catalina Dr.
      Davis, CA 95616
      rhadamson@...

      The Reporting Deadlines are:
      Spring Summer Fall Winter

      Season ends May 31 July 31 Nov 30 Feb 28

      Observer reports to Subregional Editors (SREs)
      June 10 Aug 10 Dec 10 Mar 10

      Observer reports to Regional Editors (if not sent to SRE)
      June 10 Aug 10 Dec 10 Mar 10

      SRE reports to Regional Editors
      June 20 Aug 20 Dec 20 Mar 20

      Regional Editors final text to ABA office
      July 10 Sep 10 Jan 10 Apr 10

      PLEASE meet your deadlines so that we can meet our deadlines!

      Please send reports in our preferred order: species, date(s) [including year], locale, co. abbrev., number of birds, and observer, and then, on a second line, any comments. Please separate these sections by a "tab" (except just a space between locale and county abbreviation) on electronic versions submitted. Again, here's an example of the correct format:

      Grace's Warbler 12/13/98-2/20/99 Jacks Peak MTY 1 RFT, mob
      A second record for the Region (the first was 6/26/91 at Deer Spring, Glass Mt. MNO) which wintered with a large flock of Townsend's & Hermit warblers at the very top of Jacks Peak in Jacks Peak Regional Park. Details by Tintle and others are enclosed.

      Many observers and Subregional Editors have been submitting their reports by e-mail. PLEASE submit electronic reports if possible. We are trying to maintain an electronic database of at least recent records, and we hope to be able to have all old data entered eventually so that the entire database will be easily accessible to anyone who wants it. Electronic submission of records in the format described above makes it much easier for us maintain this electronic database.

      We've heard questions about, comments on, and criticism of our regional reports from several observers and SREs. We really appreciate this feedback, as it helps us to better represent what is going on in the Region as a whole. Please help us correct any factual errors we make, and don't hesitate to let us know what you think of the reports.

      Many thanks to all the contributors and Subregional Editors who make these reports possible!

      Sincerely,

      Ed Pandolfino, Mike Rogers, Steve Rottenborn, and Steve Glover

      (Northern California Regional Editors)
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic