7262Special event 6/11/08, LA Audubon monthly meeting

  • Nick & Mary Freeman
    May 31, 2008
      Hi Birders

      You are cordially invited to attend a special event at Los Angeles
      Audubon's monthly meeting Wednesday, June 11, 2008. The meeting
      starts at 7:30pm at Plummer Park, 7377 Santa Monica Blvd., West
      Hollywood, CA 90037 in the Community Center, Room 6. The bookstore
      will be open before and after the meeting.

      We are very excited to have Bob Gill from Alaska present at tonight's

      Long-Haul Migration: Trans-Pacific Flights By Shorebirds

      In March 1976, Bob Gill left California to take a job studying
      shorebirds in Alaska. Six weeks after arriving there he found
      himself in an isolated field camp on the Alaska Peninsula where
      throughout that summer and autumn he got his first exposure to
      numerous �exotic� species like Rock Sandpiper, Sharp-tailed
      Sandpiper, Bar-tailed Godwit, and Bristle-thighed Curlew. In a few
      short years he became aware of the complex dynamic of avian migration
      in that corner of the world in which birds arrive from and depart to
      all hemispheres of the globe. His ensuing studies have focused not
      only on describing basic migration ecology of shorebirds but also
      understanding factors selected for the varied migration strategies
      employed by shorebirds as they embark on what has proven to be the
      longest nonstop flights among birds. In 2006, a generous grant from
      the Packard Foundation launched the Pacific Shorebird Migration
      Project, an effort to better understand the migration of godwits and
      curlews and the global-scale threats they face. To date, two
      populations of Bristle-thighed Curlew on their southward migrations
      and Bar-tailed Godwits and Long-billed Curlews on both their
      northward and southward migrations have been tracked. Bob will
      present some of the extraordinary results from this effort, including
      findings of birds engaged in non-stop flights that on average
      traverse 7,000�12,000 km of open ocean, take six to nine days to
      complete, incorporate several wind regimes in doing so, and take
      physiological processes to new extremes.

      I hope you will attend this great talk as it closes out the season of
      our monthly meetings until September 10, 2008.

      See ya there!

      Mary Freeman
      Glendale, CA
      President and Programs Chair for Los Angeles Audubon

      View our chapter's birding events and conservation efforts: