6778Others Hearing Western Screech-Owl?

  • DANIEL EDELSTEIN
    Oct 31, 2007
      For the past four weeks, I've been hearing WESTERN SCREECH-OWL in the forest behind our house (in Marin County).

      Are others currently hearing this species?

      If so, it's interesting timing, given the following paragraph in the account for this species in North American Birds Online (that indicates December as the starting point for vocalizations in most parts of CA):

      Phenology:

      Most calling early in breeding season is done by males giving the Bouncing Ball call (Feusier 1989). In most areas, this is in winter and early spring (Dec–Feb; Noble 1990, RJC). During courtship, 43 of 55 male solo calling bouts were of Bouncing Ball calls, as were 23 of 42 duets between pairs (Feusier 1989). In California, responsiveness to tape playback is high during this period, but drops off quickly in Mar (Noble 1990).

      Daniel Edelstein

      Ellison Bay, WI

      &

      Novato, CA (Bay Area)