6658Albatrosses & Blue Whales: Sep 30, 2007 Pelagic Trip Report

  • Debra Shearwater
    Oct 2, 2007
      Hello, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journeys' pelagic trip from Bodega Bay to Bodega Canyon
      and the Cordell Bank turned up many highlights, but the much hoped
      for Short-tailed Albatross did not make an appearance. The weather
      and seas were excellent throughout the day. Albatrosses did put on a
      great show, with 3 LAYSAN ALBATROSSES repeatedly flying close to the
      boat, and 60 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES around us for most of the day.
      Nine BLUE WHALES and over 1000 CASSIN'S AUKLETS, along with one
      TUFTED PUFFIN were highlights of the day. Cassin's auklets are not in
      Monterey Bay this year (or in 2005 or 2006). Both the auklets and
      blue whales feed on krill which seems to be continuing near the
      Cordell Bank. No storm-petrels were found. Perhaps, they have all
      moved south to Monterey Bay! One FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER and
      beautiful flocks of wheeling BULLER'S SHEARWATERS, along with the
      usual PINK-FOOTS and SOOTYS were still around. SOUTH POLAR SKUAS and
      POMARINE JAEGERS were abundant, while Long-tailed Jaegers have long
      passed their peak. More than a thousand dolphins, NORTHERN RIGHT
      WHALE DOLPHINS and PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHINS and a dozen HUMPBACK
      WHALES added to our marine mammal show. A single SALMON SHARK was a
      surprise.

      Shearwater Journeys thanks all of the participants and photographers
      who made this trip so delightful. The leaders were: Lisa Hug, Peter
      Pyle, Jim Danzenbaker, Luke Cole, Steve Howell, Don Doolittle, &
      Debra Shearwater. Our last trip from Bodega Bay for the fall season
      is scheduled for Friday, OCTOBER 19TH. We have a limited number of
      spaces available. Please email Debra soon for a reservation.

      The complete species list for SEPTEMBER 30, 2007, BODEGA CANYON &
      CORDELL BANK follows:

      RED-THROATED LOON-1
      PACIFIC LOON-2
      COMMON LOON-3
      WESTERN GREBE-2, in the harbor
      LAYSAN ALBATROSS-3, with photo images of all individuals, all juvs.
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-60
      NORTHERN FULMAR-275
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-30
      FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER-1