6318California Horned Puffin Count

  • Brian Sullivan
    Jun 3, 2007
      CalBirders

      The Horned Puffin phenomenon this summer in California is nothing short of
      amazing. I think we should strive to document this event as fully as
      possible. With that in mind I'm interested in trying to mobilize the
      California Birding Army to try and count as many Horned Puffins as possible
      along our coast this Saturday, June 9th. The protocol will be simple: go to
      your local beaches and do 15-minute seawatches, covering as many beaches as
      possible over the course of the day. You can then use eBird (www.ebird.org)
      to enter your data online. If individual beaches are covered multiple times
      during the day, we will take the single high count of puffins at each
      location. We can then query the data electronically in eBird for the high
      count of Horned Puffins at each unique location in California on 9 June.
      This should give us a clear snapshot of just how many Horned Puffins are
      over-summering this year. In Monterey Bay we must have dozens! I'm
      interested to see how far south (and north) they extend, and how many
      individuals are involved. I'll post the results here, and they'll certainly
      be published in North American Birds.

      If you are interested in participating in this impromptu survey please
      contact me at this email address and I'll put you on the list, and then
      provide further instructions. Please redirect this message to your local
      listserves or friends if you feel that others might be interested.

      Thanks
      --
      Brian L. Sullivan
      eBird Project Leader