607Re: [CALBIRDS] Masked Booby

  • John Martin
    Jan 5, 2002
      Bob, your rant is entirely appropriate. Whether birders rely on the code of
      ethics of a birding organization, or their own common sense and
      consideration for others, it's important 1) not to disturb the bird and
      cause it to expend more precious energy than it would otherwise expend, and
      2) not to scare it away and cause a fellow birder, who drove from Temecula
      or Sacramento or Portland and only has 2 hours to look for the bird, to miss
      it. Dang, I encountered the same problem as birders were swarming around
      the Nutting's Flycatcher in Orange County. There are always a few foul
      balls willing to risk someone else's lifer so that they might get another
      photo from ridiculously close. I saw the Booby the evening of New Year's
      Day, and got a great look from well back on the hill, where I'm confident I
      wasn't disturbing ANY birds, incuding the booby. Some boor, whom I had let
      use my scope to look at the bird from a reasonable distance, apparently
      thought that wasn't good enough and clambered down onto the rocks until he
      was about 10 feet from the bird. While it didn't fly immediately, it was
      indeed disturbed, as it held it's head high, switching its head back and
      forth. It had previously been mostly resting with its head tucked, but
      looking out several times in the half-hour that we watched, offering fine
      views of its dark mask and greenish-yellow bill. How much did this fellow's
      antics contribute to the bird's discontent? How much shorter a period of
      time will it remain in La Jolla because some people insist on walking right
      up to it? By the way, if any birders cause a Brown Pelican any apprehension
      as they scale the rocks in quest of the booby, that constitutes harassment,
      and those birders are in violation of the Endangered Species Act. So
      people, have some respect for the birds, and your fellow birders, and watch
      the bird from a reasonable distance.

      John Martin