5987Smith's Longspur? - Alameda Co.

  • Kathryn Parker
    Feb 6, 2007
      This afternoon on the NW corner of Mt. Trashmore at Hayward Regional
      Shoreline in Hayward, I saw a longspur. I am not at all familiar with
      the different longspurs, and I only got a look from the back and a
      profile of the face, no side or front views. I also did not see the
      bird fly.

      What I did see. The bird was all alone. The area was short grass with
      tufts of longer grass. The bird was large-sparrow sized, but very
      stocky and had a horizontal aspect. The head was large and flat. The
      beak was pink, and fairly long and pointed. The eye was large and dark
      with a definite thin complete eye-ring. The face had a triangular
      face-patch that was thinly outlined and there was no strong supercilium
      or moustache stripe. The top of the head, nape and back were all
      heavily streaked. The tail was long and had complete white edges. The
      bird was a warm, buffy and brown.

      As I said, I did not see the sides or front of this bird at all. It was
      walking away from me in the grass, and when I worked around to try and
      get a better view, it had disappeared.

      From the pictures in Sibley, the bird looked most like the 1st winter
      Smith's Longspur. However, Smith's Longspur is not on the Alameda Co.
      list.
      Anyway, if you are up on Mt. Trashmore, keep your eyes open.

      There were 6 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, 2 SNOW GEESE - an adult and a
      juvenile, and 3 ROSS'S GEESE, each species keeping company with a
      different flock of CANADA GEESE.

      Kathy Parker
      Los Gatos