5010Flammulated Owl @ Laguna

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Apr 29 3:56 PM
      Hi, all!

      Wanted to get that piece of news out of the way first: the bird was singing
      unprovoked along the Sunrise Highway this morning about 4:30 AM, just past the
      "ELEV 6000" sign (it was around 13 miles or so, by my odometer, up from the
      bottom of the highway where it intersects with Old Highway 80 coming out of
      Pine Valley). But go by the sign, not my odometer! I'd say that anywhere
      from the sign to about a mile beyond it might be good to try for it.

      Now for the rest of the morning: for my part in the America's Birdiest
      County competition I decided to try the owling bit again, and THIS time it was
      glorious! The "heavens declared his glory" as the psalm goes, and there wasn't
      a bit of wind (for the most part)! So I wound up with Barn Owl (that buzzed
      me when I hissed at it just to make sure the clicking sound I was hearing
      really WAS a Barn Owl), several Great Horneds, and a couple of Western Screeches
      in addition to the Flam. In the open burned area past Pioneer Mail, a
      couple of Horned Larks were tuning up in the dusk!

      Since it was starting to get light, I wanted to get on down to Blair Valley,
      but a couple of stops along Banner Grade logged some high mountain/oak
      things that I didn't get elsewhere, including a lingering Hermit Thrush (and a van
      that had an appointment with a tree; thankfully no one was hurt, it looked
      like). A quick stop at Scissors Crossing added more riparian stuff, including
      a singing Ruby-crowned Kinglet still hanging around. No Summer Tanager,
      though, but a Roadrunner scooted across the road as I was making a "U"ie...

      There were lots of Happy Campers at Blair (one of them was probably a Boy
      Scout troop or something), so I had to work my way around that, but did manage
      to nab the Scott's Oriole and Ladder-backed Woodpecker, which are two birds
      you CAN get elsewhere, but I can easily miss them unless I go here, where I
      ALWAYS get them (in season, anyway). Blasted down to Butterfield to try for the
      Vermilion Flycatcher, not knowing about the one hanging around up at
      Henderson Canyon Road! That woulda saved time for sure, but the place was hopping
      with stuff (even though I dipped on the flycatcher), and is now under new
      management, just for the record. Notable birds included Black-headed (lots) and
      Blue Grosbeak, several Lazuli Buntings, a lingering White-crowned Sparrow,
      Turkeys (which I had never seen in the desert before), the resident
      Red-shouldered Hawk, and best of all, a Lesser Nighthawk batting around!

      Tore up to Tamarisk Grove after that, where I ran into Sandy and Jason (both
      from out of town), but Jason knew exactly where the Long-eared Owls were
      hanging out, so he obligingly pointed out a fuzzy little (well, not so little)
      fledgling! I walked right by it the first time, naturally... From there I
      zoomed up to the end of Yaqui Pass Road, and to my dismay there wasn't a peep
      from a Lucy's Warbler to be heard (when they were singing right from the road
      last time)! I took a stroll around the loop with my CD, but no thrasher
      showed an interest, although I did pick up Barn Swallow and Bell's Vireo for the
      day. Ran into Jason and Sandy again, who told me about the alternate Vermy
      Fly spot, so since I planned on driving by there anyway, I relaxed a little...

      Clark Lake was next, but no LeConte's (the shrikes seemed to like the tape,
      though...) After a fruitless search at the oasis across the lake I ran into
      another vehicle, so had to back up to a pulloff to let it pass, only they
      pulled off, too: it was Sue Smith! So we gabbed for awhile; she had been out
      there since Friday, so thankfully she had bagged a few of the things I had
      missed (including the Lucy's Warbler and Gambel's Quail), but she dipped on the
      thrashers as well. We tried again when we ran into Terry Hunefeld, but nada.
      On the way out, however, Sue spotted a Swainson's Hawk soaring against the
      mountains, so that was great!

      She agreed to follow me to the Roadrunner Club via Henderson Canyon, but I
      sure didn't recall any golf course along there, and sure didn't see any this
      time, so after a quick listen along Di Giorgio for possible Brown-crested
      Flycatchers, we headed to the Club, where we added Killdeer, Common Ground, and
      eventually the Collared Dove. We found some more White-crowned Sparrows and
      then decided to have lunch and call it quits (at least on my end).

      But that's not the end of the story: on the way home I noticed a voice mail
      on my cell phone (must have been in a dead spot), and it was Sue: we just
      hadn't gone far enough on Henderson Canyon! There IS a golf course after you
      make a jog, and the flycatcher flew right in front of her! Yay--we got THAT one
      in the bag!

      Bird List (for me, anyway...):

      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      Swainson's Hawk Buteo swainsoni
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      Wild Turkey Meleagris gallopavo
      Mountain Quail Oreortyx pictus
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica
      Common Ground-Dove Columbina passerina
      Greater Roadrunner Geococcyx californianus
      Barn Owl Tyto alba
      Flammulated Owl Otus flammeolus
      Western Screech-Owl Megascops kennicottii
      Great Horned Owl Bubo virginianus
      Northern Long-eared Owl Asio otus
      Lesser Nighthawk Chordeiles acutipennis
      Costa's Hummingbird Calypte costae
      Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya
      Ash-throated Flycatcher Myiarchus cinerascens
      Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis
      Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris
      Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Phainopepla Phainopepla nitens
      Cactus Wren Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus
      Rock Wren Salpinctes obsoletus
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus
      Black-tailed Gnatcatcher Polioptila melanura
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Mountain Chickadee Poecile gambeli
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      Verdin Auriparus flaviceps
      Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      Bell's Vireo Vireo bellii
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Yellow Warbler Dendroica petechia
      Wilson's Warbler Wilsonia pusilla
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus
      Black-throated Sparrow Amphispiza bilineata
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis
      Black-headed Grosbeak Pheucticus melanocephalus
      Blue Grosbeak Passerina caerulea
      Lazuli Bunting Passerina amoena
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus
      Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus
      Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater
      Hooded Oriole Icterus cucullatus
      Bullock's Oriole Icterus bullockii
      Scott's Oriole Icterus parisorum