4277San Clemente Island

  • Eric Kershner
    Aug 13, 2005
      Over the last week the shorebirds have really begun coming in. A few highlights have been a group of 5 Adult Wilson's Phalaropes showing up in breeding plumage, at least 2 Baird's sandpipers, 1 Solitary Sandpiper, a few Greater Yellowlegs and numbers are increasing for Least and Western Sandpipers every day. Sanderings have also returned with some still in breeding plumage.

      On Thursday, myself and Jimmy McMorran found a Semipalmated Sandpiper. This bird was very skittish and did not allow close approach so we were not able to get photos or video. When it finally spooked we could clearly hear it calling as it flew south with two Least Sandpipers. This sighting represents an island first record for Clemente.

      Eric L. Kershner, Ph.D.
      Institute for Wildlife Studies
      2515 Camino del Rio South, Ste. 334
      San Diego, CA 92108