4109Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Black-Hawk (ethical challenges)

  • creagrus
    Jun 6, 2005
      A number of folks have emailed privately regarding my post on Civil Code
      section 846.

      Some expressed the point that landowners "have a perfect right to refuse
      to allow permission to cross their land, even if it is an
      'inconvenience' to birders," and this is of course true. No landowner
      is required to give permission to enter their land for any purpose,
      absent a warrant.

      Others express the opinion that "the statute does not protect the
      landowner or his insurance company from lawsuits and the legal fees
      required to get the lawsuit dismissed." Yes, I guess, but misleading
      and pretty irrelevent. From the insured's point of view -- the
      landowner's point of view -- his or her insurance will provide the
      defense at no cost to the landowner. That is part of the cost of the
      insurance, and it is built into the system. The cost of defending
      against frivolous lawsuits is already way overblown by insurers, and is
      already part of the premium. There is no risk to the landowner to allow
      permission to enter for birding, unless he/she is uninsured (extremely
      unlikely). As to the cost of the insurance company to defend and get
      dismissed a frivolous case? It is de minimis. That cost is so small
      when compared to the cost spent by insurance companies in fighting
      perfectly good lawsuits that it is so low as to be nothing.

      Another wrote to say that there is the risk of insurance rates rising
      even if one has a meritless lawsuit filed against the landowner. That
      has not been my experience. The types of rates they rise on "claims,"
      as opposed to actual damages paid out for actual liability, are
      professional liability insurance (attorney malpractice, medical
      malpractice insurance) and not typical homeowner/landowner situations.

      One raised the point that occasionally bogus lawsuits are filed to get
      "nuisance" value, but I can't imagine that happening when there is no
      debate about "duty." Under section 846, there is no "duty" to warn
      against dangers on the land, and no "duty" to make the land safe.. In
      most situations -- like driving a car -- each of us has a "duty" to
      drive safely and we can be sued, even falsely, when someone says we
      drove unsafely and caused injury. But the lack of "duty" under section
      846 pretty much eliminates the "nuisance" lawsuits because they don't
      have a legal leg to stand on, no matter how flimsly. They can easily be
      dismissed at minimal cost.

      To assuage those landowners for whom Civil Code section 846 is not
      enough, I have often offered to sign a waiver of liability in addition
      to the protection offered by section 846. One can even sign a waiver
      that requires the signer to "defend and indemnify" the landowner. In
      other words, you promise to pay for the landowner's defense of any
      lawsuit that you file against him or her for injuries during your
      birding on the property, and agree to repay to the landowner any damages
      you might recover. That is an absolutely no risk promise to the
      landowner. Even if you sue and his/her insurance company has to defend,
      the landowner and his insurer can get back all the costs of throwing you
      out of court.

      I have found that a discussion with landowners on these topics reduces
      their fears and misconceptions greatly, but not always. There are still
      some who refuse access, often saying something like "well, I don't want
      you finding an endangered species on my land." I usually explain that
      Common Black-Hawks or whatnot are not endangered, and that's all I'm
      looking for. But some still say "no" and that is their right. Yet my
      experience during the Breeding Bird Atlas is that the vast majority
      would listen to all these reasons, and most often give permission.

      Don Roberson, J.D.