4079Red-faced Warbler on Clark Mt, SBE

  • Chris Conard
    Jun 1, 2005
      Folks,

      The highlight of a great trip to Clark Mountain in East Mojave National Preserve, San Bernardino County, last weekend was finding two RED-FACED WARBLERS on 5/29/05. I saw and photographed one as it was countersinging with an unseen bird at the top of the western of the two white fir "forests."

      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chrisconard2002/my_photos

      Other highlights included three HEPATIC TANAGERS, two VIRGINIA'S WARBLERS, four PLUMBEOUS VIREOS, three GRAY VIREOS and one CRISSAL THRASHER. Montane birds included four RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES (two copulating), several WESTERN TANAGERS, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, DUSKY and GRAY FLYCATCHERS, two WESTERN WOOD-PEWEES, HERMIT THRUSHES, PINE SISKINS, MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES, and one unseen singing and calling junco. BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS were ABUNDANT throughout the pinyon pines and into the white firs, and BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS were very conspicuously singing above 6,000 ft.

      Despite camping on the western rim of the western fir forest, with calm weather for an hour after sunset, I heard no nightjars. It was very windy on Sunday, 5/29, but still a lot of bird activity.

      For more information about Clark Mountain, see http://home.att.net/%7Eredknot/clarkmtn.htm This is my second trip, and I climbed to the forest from a western approach not fully described on the Web site above. ~0.3 of a mile before the typical trailhead (or 2.7 mi from the powerline Rd according to my odometer), I drove up a spur road that leads to an old camping area and the wilderness boundary. By taking this route, I avoided having to climb around the dry falls on the main route (though walking toward the dry fall on 5/28 is where I had two Gray Vireos and the Crissal Thrasher).

      I'd be happy to discuss in more detail and I'm interested in what others have found at this site. I saw nobody for two days once I left Hwy 15 despite having to wait in line for gas at midnight in Baker on Friday. Amazing to be so close to such a stream of humanity, and seem so far away.

      Chris Conard
      Sacramento