3798Horned Puffins washing up off northern Calif

  • tertial
    Feb 2, 2005
      I'm hearing from the Gulf of the Farallons BeachWatch folks that they
      have found a few dead HORNED PUFFINS lately. One was Dec 20 at
      Limantour (Pt Reyes), and two this past weekend (one at Pt Reyes, and
      I'm not sure about the other, but it would have to be somewhere in
      the vicinity). One of the birds this weekend was oiled. I suppose
      there could be some live ones near shore.

      Dead Horned Puffins were found in small numbers in Oregon in
      January.

      I don't know about the ages of the birds. Last year, when tens of
      thousands of Fulmars washed up from San Diego to Washington, 99% (in
      one very large sample from Monterey Bay) were juveniles.

      all for now,

      Steve Hampton
      Davis, CA
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic