3746RE: [CALBIRDS] Where are the Red-throated Loons?

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Jan 12, 2005
      Gary

      Maybe a bit of bad luck, and a bit of bad weather. I have not been seeing
      as many Red-throats as there usually hare in HMB at this time of year but I
      have been chalking it up to poor weather. Either rain and visibility or
      swell and waves, which can make loon watching problematic. One thing to keep
      in mind with the Red-throated is that it is often right at or just beyond
      the surf line. It likes to be close to shore, but not in protected waters
      necessarily. I often see them while walking my dogs from the end of Redondo
      Beach Road, which is off hwy 1 just south of the main part of Half Moon Bay.
      I did see one today, but that is no guarantee that there will be one there
      tomorrow, they do seem to move around. Look from the cliff, and keep your
      eyes out just beyond the surf line, often closer than the Western Grebes.

      Good luck.

      Al

      Alvaro Jaramillo
      chucao@...