3621Re: [CALBIRDS] RE: "birdwatchers are the worst"

  • Douglas Shaw
    Nov 16, 2004
      From: Nathaniel Wander
      To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 12:36 PM
      Subject: [CALBIRDS] RE: "birdwatchers are the worst"

      Hi,

      Please see ittalized comments below.

      People who live in optical housings shouldn't throw stones.

      While the "binoculars = big eyes" explanation may be a lot of hooey, we all
      know that just turning towards a bird, let alone looking at it intensely
      can disturb it. Of course, it all depends on the species, habitat, season,
      bird's activity at the time, etc., etc., etc.
      Researchers use binoculars, scopes, band birds, and invade their nests. All of these activities benefit the birds in the long run.

      And while we are hardly "the worst," its flat out dishonest to pretend that
      our "hunting" and "staring" has no impact on birds at all, let alone that,
      it might not seriously compromise an already overstressed creature. Like
      when some poor off-course vagrant is "pounded" by every chaser in a
      thousand-mile radius.

      I hope most birders are aware of birding ethics. Unforunately there have been major exceptions that is another topic.

      While most birders I know seem to be trying to behave as decently as
      possible, neither is any of us necessarily more immune to the close-minded
      selfishness some attribute to dog owners. Remember the eye-motes and
      eye-beams.

      How about the dog owners in San Francisco that encourage their dogs to run in the marsh lands at Crissy Field ? Correct me if I have the location wrong. I read several posts in recent years about those dog owners in SF.

      Doug Shaw
      Santa Rosa, CA

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Get unlimited calls to