1644Re: [CALBIRDS] RFI for Orange Bishop in the LA area for an out of town birder

  • Steve Sosensky
    Dec 10, 2002
      At 07:48 PM 12/10/2002 -0500, Birders2@... wrote:
      >Have no info on the Orange Bishops. I think I have only seen them at the LA
      >River near Glendale.

      There were several Orange Bishops at Eldorado Park yesterday in the
      southwest corner of the Nature Center, along with lots of Nutmeg Mannikens.
      To get to this spot, take the trail to and past the observation platform.
      In a while, there is a path to the right with a rope across it. (This is a
      vehicular barrier. I've been in this area when maintenance trucks have been
      there and nobody has told me to leave.) Follow this path to a paved
      maintenance road. The Bishops were to the left in the seeded weeds and
      grasses on the left side of the road.

      At this time of year, Orange Bishops are completing their pre-basic molt.
      Males are showing their last vestiges of orange, and look like tailless
      sparrows or small Bobolinks. Birders should look for sparrows that fly in a
      heads-up attitude, presenting their breasts, rather than their bills, in
      the direction of flight.

      >My sightings of the Pinyon Jays have been in the Lone Pine - Bishop area.
      >Does anyone know of other places where they maybe seen closer to LA or in
      >that area during the last weeks of December?

      A couple of weeks ago, I was at Black Rock Campground, the part of Joshua
      Tree NP that is accessed via Joshua Tree Lane in Yucca Valley. There were
      plenty of Pinyon Jays there. Also present were Gambel's Quail, Rock and
      Cactus Wrens, Ladder-backed Woodpeckers, and Black-throated Sparrows.
      Scott's Orioles have left for the winter.

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic