      From: peninsula-birding@yahoogroups.com [mailto:peninsula-birding@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ronald- Thorn Tronthorn@... [peninsula-birding]
      Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 7:12 PM
      To: peninsula-birding@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [pen-bird] MASKED/NAZCA BOOBY

      There was ( 8 ) mile visibility at Half Moon Bay early this morning. So, I was out the

      door to Moss Beach for a seawatch.

      Time ( 07:00-09:30 )  Sky high overcast  Visibility clear out to near the horizon

      Wind south 7 knots

      At ( 07:50 ) I got on a booby coming in from the north. Passing straight out from

      where I was scoping it was a juvenal-plumaged MASKED/NAZCA BOOBY.

      What I observed I was able to eliminate Brown Booby and Blue-footed Booby.

      I noted the features of the Masked/Nazca Booby, but I could not get a good view

      if it had a white collar or was lacking one. I watched it flying south until it was out

      of sight.

      Other birds noted during the seawatch

      ( 3,000 ) Sooty Shearwaters were flying north. There were ( 52 ) Black-vented

      Shearwaters with most flying with the Sooty Shearwaters. There was

      ( 1 ) Pink-footed Shearwater. ( 3 ) Adult pale morph Parasitic Jaegers were

      trailing Elegant Terns south. Brandt's Cormorants flying north had a leucistic

      individual standing out among the group. The only shorebirds southbound were

      ( 78 ) Red-necked Phalaropes.

      Ron Thorn