11511Results of Island Packers pelagic trip, August 21

  • Peter Gaede
    Aug 22, 2014
      Hello All:

      The Islander spent from 8AM to 6:45PM in Ventura and Santa Barbara County waters yesterday. Our basic route involved heading out from the Ventura harbor to East Anacapa, then southeast over the Pilgrim Banks to Santa Barbara Island (SBI). After dropping off campers there, we circled the island (which included good coverage of the vertical cliff faces at Sutil Island off the SW corner of SBI), and then headed south to Osborn Bank. Our return trip skirted the eastern edge of the Santa Cruz Basin towards the "footprint" and through the Anacapa Passage. Overall, weather and sea conditions were excellent, and we had good, extended views of most species encountered.

      Highlights were 3 pairs of CRAVERI'S MURRELETS, a RED-BILLED TROPICBIRD, and a total of 11 BROWN BOOBIES. One subadult Brown was seen perched with cormorants on East Anacapa Island at the "traditional" booby roost there, and the remaining 10 were seen at Sutil Island. The Sutil bunch included one adult (or near-adult), with up to 7 individuals perched together on the same cliff face.

      Just outside the harbor, we spent time sorting through a very large raft of Black-vented Shearwaters, totaling at least 7,500 birds. Other mentionables were steady groups of Red-necked Phalaropes seen throughout the day and a single, heavily worn Northern Fulmar. Storm-petrels were in short supply (only a couple of Blacks seen), and we observed only 3-4 Sooty Shearwaters.

      Thanks to Joel Barrett and Island Packers for organizing and making this trip happen, Captain Lee, all the participants, and to co-leaders Joel Barrett, Wes Fritz, Matt Victoria and Greg Smith.

      Peter Gaede
      Santa Barbara