11499Immature Heermann's Gulls

  • wagtail1997
    Aug 8, 2014
      Alvaro posted a while ago that he was seeing at that time only adult Heermann's Gulls in northern California and requested information on flocks in southern California.  There is usually a small flock of this species along Strand and Salt  Creek Beaches in Dana Point, Orange County, CA.  This morning at Strand Beach, in a flock of about 75 Heermann's Gulls, 7 chocolate brown immatures were counted.  I don't think this ratio is unusual, but I've not been recording that information in the past.

      Joel Weintraub
      Dana Point, CA