11498No Green Sandpiper

  • Tristan McKee
    Aug 7, 2014

      We have not relocated the sandpiper, despite intensive efforts all over the Arcata Bottoms and Marsh. Not being a big fan of single-observer first state records (although I was once a strong advocate of putting Three-toed Woodpecker on the list!), I won't be pushing this as the first record south of Alaska. I am especially concerned with the prevalence of hybridization in shorebirds, the less-than-perfect leg color, and the fact that I only heard the alarm call (the bird was very agitated), not the typical flight call described in all the books (xeno-canto.org has many examples of both).

      Thanks for all the hard work everybody,
      Tristan McKee
      Arcata, CA