11492Re: [nwcalbird] Eureka Gull--massive LBBG?

  • Rob Fowler
    Aug 3, 2014
      Photos of the bird that I took yesterday can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8695857@N04/sets/72157646085088186/

      I didn't personally get good looks at the tail pattern but others said that it had a black tail band and not a full black tail. I did get one photo of part of the tail and the uppertail coverts, which also look spotted (better for LBBG, I think?; should be barred in Kelp, right? I have very little experience with LBBG and none with Kelp).

      Rob Fowler

      On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Tristan McKee atmckee@... [nwcalbird] <nwcalbird-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      The Elk River gull has not turned up this morning, although gull numbers are lower and it was present all day yesterday (gulls are out foraging now). Current consensus is tending toward a very large male Lesser Black-backed Gull. Barring two unreviewed records of Heuglin's-type gulls, this would be Humboldt's first record (although it could be a taxonomically-questionable Asian bird as well).

      Tristan McKee
      Arcata, CA

      Rob Fowler
      McKinleyville, CA