11489HAWAIIAN PETREL: HALF MOON BAY AUGUST 2

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Aug 2, 2014
      Howdy, Calbirders,

      The highlight of Shearwater Journeys's pelagic trip departing from Half Moon Bay today was a HAWAIIAN PETREL which was spotted by Scott Terrill as it flew up the wake to an awesome-sauce slick more than a mile long that I spent over an hour laying out. This gorgeous petrel flew up the side of the boat and off the bow, giving every single person on board excellent views! It was a life bird for many on board.

      Many other seabirds sparked a lot of excitement, including SCRIPPS'S and CRAVERI'S MURRELETS; BLACK and ASHY STORM-PETREL and SABINE'S GULLS. We missed the MARBLED MURRELETS in the morning, but LInda Terrill spotted two on the ride home!

      Many thanks to the dynamic duo leaders: Scott & Linda Terrill who've been leading trips with Shearwater Journeys for several decades, beginning  with bringing their young children, Ryan and Jennifer, in tow! I'll make a full report with photographs next week. Tomorrow, I head out to the Farallon Islands from Sausalito.

      Amazingly, this is precisely the same date that I spotted a Hawaiian Petrel on our 2013 Monterey Bay pelagic trip. Dave Pavlik who was doing a Conservation Big Year was on that trip and today's trip. Perhaps he has "petrel luck."

      Our next trips from Half Moon Bay with spaces available are:
      AUGUST 16, 17, 23 (limited spaces available)
      SEPTEMBER 7, 8, 15, 21, 24
      OCTOBER 5, 12

      View our complete schedule with trips departing from Monterey and Bodega Bay, as well at:

      Petrels Forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527

      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 9 - 25, 2014 with Debi
      Russian Far East Voyages: May/June 2016