11488Kelp Gull candidate in Eureka

  • Tristan McKee
    Aug 2, 2014
      Today (2 Aug 2014) a number of Humboldt birders have been studying a striking 1st/2nd cycle gull at the Elk River Mouth, Eureka (off Hillficker Drive). It appears to be a very strong Kelp Gull candidate. The overall appearance is reminiscent of a Lesser Black-backed Gull, but the bird is about the size of a Western, has broad wings, a largely dark tail, and boldly checkered wing coverts. Others took much better photos, but here are mine for now:

      https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/101791769@N08/

      I'll post more discussion when I return from the field.

      Tristan McKee
      Arcata, CA