11444Re: [CALBIRDS] Huge #'s of Brown Pelicans?

  • Clay Kempf
    Jun 24, 2014
      In Santa Cruz County, triple digit numbers of Brown Pelicans are occurring in association with Sooty Shearwater feeding frenzies, in locations such as Seacliff State Beach. Additional birds are regularly roosting on an abandoned cement ship at the same location. I haven't recorded numbers or paid attention to adult/juvenile ratios (although photos show of a mixture of ages; I'll check on this), but several hundred birds at a time hasn't been unusual.

      I've posted an image here Rio Del Mar Beach - feeding frenzy photo - LT Jaeger photos at pbase.com if anyone is interested.

      Clay Kempf
      Monterey Bay

      On Jun 24, 2014, at 7:58 AM, dan_cooper_90042@... [CALBIRDS] wrote:

      So my question is, has anyone had hundreds (or thousands) of pelicans in CA in the past month or so, and if so, where?

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic