11330Marsh Sandpiper first light

  • Paul Lehman
    Apr 10, 2014
      A few people have asked what time was first light today at the Marsh
      Sandpiper spot--when we first could make out at least the correct
      silhouette as we scoped east well down the channel from the 90-degree
      bend. We arrived at 6AM sharp, and had the distant candidate bird in
      our scopes just ca. 10 minutes later. Yes, it was still semi-dark, but
      it was a bit better than a little later when the sun appeared directly
      in our faces and made the lighting truly awful. The question of whether
      to remain there and wait a LONG time for the light to improve, but
      noting that some yellowlegs were leaving and that most birds were
      nervous, or try the group-moving of vehicles past the birds to the east
      but which may well flush the birds to some unknown extent, is one the
      group each day will need to decide!

      --Paul Lehman, San Diego
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic