11314Shearwater Journeys's March 21 Pelagic Trip

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Mar 22, 2014
      Hello, CalBirders,

      Here's a preliminary report:

      Shearwater Journeys's spring pelagic trip, March 21 was quite spectacular. Highlights included: a good showing of BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS, PACIFIC FULMAR, SOOTY & PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, unusual 2 MANX SHEARWATERS; also unusual, one ASHY STORM-PETREL; hundreds of RED PHALAROPES; most unusual, a single SABINE'S GULL (Red-legged Kittiwake was considered- it was not one); good views of PIGEON GUILLEMOTS, COMMON MURRES, RHINOCEROS AUKLETS and a few CASSIN'S AUKLETS and fly-away views of 3 ANCIENT MURRELETS.

      Early morning off Point Pinos, we enjoyed excellent views of HUMPBACK and GRAY WHALES. Mid-day, we encountered 350+ RISSO'S DOLPHINS, many with newborn calves still showing fetal folds; a few scattered PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHINS and NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHINS. A single BLUE SHARK put in an appearance.

      The grande finale at day's end included 6 or 7 KILLER WHALES! This was a wonderful way to end such an altogether awesome day. Oh, and did we have FUN— celebrated the birthday of one of our leaders with song and cake pop! And, two birders broke #300 for their ABA List.

      Full report/species list to follow. Find our complete 2014 schedule of trips at:

      Shearwaters Forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      DEBRA SHEARWATER
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527

      Disko Bay: Greenland, May 15-22, 2014 with Debi
      Birding Down Under: SubAntarctic Islands, November 9 - 25, 2014 with Debi