11287Re: [CB] Solano County Lesser Black-backed Gull, Glaucous Gull, etc.

  • Joseph Morlan
    Feb 13, 2014
      This morning Dan Singer and I checked out the B & J Landfill at 6426 Hay
      Rd, Vacaville. Thousands of gulls were present but we were able to study
      only a small fraction of those birds resting in the fields on the north
      side of Hay Road across from the landfill.

      We found an adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL which is apparently a first
      record for Solano County. Distant but identifiable photos are at...

      http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/LesserBlack-backedGullP1150479.htm

      We also saw a very pale GLAUCOUS GULL, apparently 2nd cycle. Photo at...

      http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/GlaucousGullP1150489.htm

      There was also at least one adult WESTERN GULL with the flock.

      Other birds of interest in eastern Solano County were a flock of about 40
      MOUNTAIN PLOVERS seen only in flight at the east end of Robinson Road. We
      had a close encounter with a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK along Flannery Road just
      east of Hwy 113. Several FERRUGINOUS HAWKS were also in the area.

      CLIFF SWALLOWS have arrived with several exploring a culvert along Flannery
      Road.

      Good luck!

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      Birding Classes start Feb 11 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/