11197Butte Barred Owls

  • BRUCE DEUEL
    Nov 18, 2013
      Here are the directions I received for finding the pair of Barred Owls:  Take Hwy 162 east from Oroville. Take a right on Forbestown Road. Follow that through & past Forbestown. At the stop sign, take a left on LaPorte road (towards LaPorte). Go through the tiny town of Challenge and the small town of Clipper Mills. Take a left where there is a forest service sign that says "Sly Creek" reservoir (look carefully, it's small). The turn is at the bottom between two hills.

      Go over Sly Creek dam and keep going north on the main road. About 7/10 of a mile, at a large intersection, take a left to go towards the west. About 1/2 mile, take a right at the next big intersection to go north. Take that road for about 1.2 miles and there will be a small road that cuts back to the left.

      Drive about 6/10 of a mile until you see a clearcut on the right.

      We first had them to the northwest. We tried drove around to see if we could get closer, but didn't hear them, so we went back to the clearcut and heard them to the southeast.  Then they moved to the northeast.