11182Bay area bird photos

  • Sanchez, Isaac C
    Nov 10, 2013

      Dear CALBIRDERS:

      I want to thank all who responded to my RFI about 3 weeks ago about bay area birds.  I received a lot of useful info from several of you.  I want to especially thank Rich Cimino and Daniel Elderstein for helping us locate some of our target birds.  We were able to photograph 9 new birds, which raised my Photo Big Year total to 579.

      We birded areas in Santa Clara, Marin, Alameda, and Mariposa counties where we picked up 9 new photo birds: WILLIAMSON’S SAPSUCKER (lifer),  WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKER, FERRUGINOUS HAWK, YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIE, TRICOLORED BLACKBIRD, BLUE-FOOTED BOOBY (lifer), PURPLE FINCH, RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER, and CACKLING GOOSE.

      Although I had recently photographed a Lewis’s Woodpecker in OK, we got an even better look and photo of one on Del Valley Rd. near Livermore (thank you Rich!).  Photos of this woodpecker as well as the other birds mentioned above can be found on the front end of my Flickr photostream:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaaccsanchez/

      Location info is also given for each bird.

      For those interested, the photo gallery for my Big Year is at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaaccsanchez/sets/72157632513641635/

      Isaac Sanchez

      Austin, TX

      “ A bird is a song with wings for those with ears to hear.”