11174Re: [CALBIRDS] Pelagic mapping tool - try this

  • Elias Elias
    Nov 3, 2013
      Hi Bob

      Kudos to you and Hopland for publishing this. Kurt has a sharp eye and is certainly correct. It looks as if the coverage didn't buffer off of Isla Guadalupe/use the treaty line with Mexico. I would submit a dozen or so other tweaks that ought to be made if Hopland is open to making a "Pelagic Mapping Tool 2.0." Most of my proposed tweaks involve the nearshore waters. But my most significant proposed tweak involves Begg Rock several miles Northwest of San Nicolas. It is evidently a "drying rock" and therefore subject to the 3/12/24 nautical mile limits of Territorial Waters/Contiguous Zone and would seem to be a part of Ventura. This proposed mod would eat into Santa Barbara's marine listing area by several miles and can claim several dozen more square miles for Ventura's Marine Listing Area. One can visualize this by turning on the OpenStreetMap Basemap layer in Hopland's map. Note how the blue line is too close to the pink line. But with sea level rise this may be moot in a few years.  The island may disappear.

      It is also important to note that Redding Rock (Humboldt) and The Saint George reef (Del Norte) also substantially impact the waters at the Oregon-California frontier and again this withholding ceeds many square miles to Oregon.

      If you would like me to enumerate the piddily stuff just tap me.

      Flock on!

      Elias/Ηλίας
      Arcata CA/San Diego CA
      Walkie talkie primero=707-633-8833
      Last ditch alternate=559-433-7254

      To release the truth within us, to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen

      JG Ballard

      On Oct 31, 2013, at 15:35, "rjkeiffer@..." <rjkeiffer@...> wrote:

      The UC Hopland Research & Extension Center, as part of the UC’s Ag & Natural Resources Division, recently developed a Pelagic Mapping Tool for California.   This was done to suffice the need for some of our Mendocino County bird observations that get close to SON, HUM, or SF boundaries.  The mapping tool is based upon the premise followed by the CBRC … that is: “to the point of closest land”.   Shane Feirer, who is currently working for the ANR-IGIS program developed the mapping tool.   If you follow the below directions you can try it out.  Make sure that you use the attached EXCEL calculator to find your decimal lat-long coordinates.    (the mapping tool was down yesterday but is now up and running).   Let me know if you have problems …good luck.

      1)      Go to our HREC website:  http://ucanr.edu/sites/hopland/ and select the pelagic mapping tool.

      2)      Use the attached excel calculator to enter lat-long coordinates and convert them to decimal coordinates (I can't figure out how to attach the EXCEL calculator ...so email me if you need it and I will send to you)

      3)      Select the “green box” and copy the decimal coordinates (from the EXCEL)

      4)      Type or paste the decimal coordinates into the query box on the pelagic mapping tool and hit “enter” …and it should map the location for you

      5)      Make sure that you zoom in on “close-to-boundary” observations … otherwise it can fool you (example -124.628611 39.565278 looks like MEN until you zoom in to find out it is just barely into HUM waters)  This was Paul’s Hawaiian Petrel of 18 July 2013 at 39 33 55, 124 37 43

      Bob Keiffer    Hopland MEN    rjkeiffer@...

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic