11170RE: Pelagic mapping tool - try this

  • kradamaker
    Oct 31, 2013

       Hi Bob,

      Nice tool!  I just love how Orange and San Diego counties get gyped by LA county ;-).  It appears the southern boundaries of LA and Ventura dip a bit too far into Mexico, by about 100 miles. Compare to the US Maritime International boundaries.

      http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=a452068c1f7f4561ba9c7fee2961d359&extent=-86.2565,33.1758,-65.3824,42.8933

      Best

      Kurt Radamaker

      Cave Creek, AZ

      ---In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, <rjkeiffer@...> wrote:

      The UC Hopland Research & Extension Center, as part of the UC’s Ag & Natural Resources Division, recently developed a Pelagic Mapping Tool for California.   This was done to suffice the need for some of our Mendocino County bird observations that get close to SON, HUM, or SF boundaries.  The mapping tool is based upon the premise followed by the CBRC … that is: “to the point of closest land”.   Shane Feirer, who is currently working for the ANR-IGIS program developed the mapping tool.   If you follow the below directions you can try it out.  Make sure that you use the attached EXCEL calculator to find your decimal lat-long coordinates.    (the mapping tool was down yesterday but is now up and running).   Let me know if you have problems …good luck.

      1)      Go to our HREC website:  http://ucanr.edu/sites/hopland/ and select the pelagic mapping tool.

      2)      Use the attached excel calculator to enter lat-long coordinates and convert them to decimal coordinates (I can't figure out how to attach the EXCEL calculator ...so email me if you need it and I will send to you)

      3)      Select the “green box” and copy the decimal coordinates (from the EXCEL)

      4)      Type or paste the decimal coordinates into the query box on the pelagic mapping tool and hit “enter” …and it should map the location for you

      5)      Make sure that you zoom in on “close-to-boundary” observations … otherwise it can fool you (example -124.628611 39.565278 looks like MEN until you zoom in to find out it is just barely into HUM waters)  This was Paul’s Hawaiian Petrel of 18 July 2013 at 39 33 55, 124 37 43

      Bob Keiffer    Hopland MEN    rjkeiffer@...

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic