11085RE: Pattern of recent Blue-footed Booby records

  • natureali
    Oct 7, 2013

      A quick trip to Obsidian Butte in Salton Sea revealed 39 Blue-footed Boobies = 33 on one rock alone. Ran into a friend who had been circumnavigating the sea and his count was up to 103 from Riverside County down the west side and he was working his way north on the east side when I saw him.

      Some of the boobies displayed yellow in their feet, but nothing lead me to think they were any other species. https://www.flickr.com/photos/natureali/10149387836/

      Ali Sheehey

      Weldon, CA

      ---In calbirds@yahoogroups.com, <heraldpetrel@...> wrote:

      Kimball et al.

      Add at least one more to the list. Found at Pt. Pinos this evening:

      Thanks

      Brian

      On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Kimball Garrett <kgarrett@...> wrote:

      Birders,

      In the past three days there have been at least 12 Blue-footed Boobies sighted at three coastal locations and three additional inland locations (5 to 15 miles from the ocean) just within Los Angeles County alone.  Add to these birds seen in the past few days on the lower Santa Ana River in Orange County, in coastal San Diego County at La Jolla, and well inland at Lake Skinner (5 birds) and Borrego Springs (plus a bird at Pt. Reyes), and it's clear there is a major "invasion" going on.  But, shockingly, there has yet to be a single report from the Salton Sea, and nearly every other past invasion involved multiples at the Sea and smaller numbers of individuals farther north and west (including on the coast).  I know that access to some areas of the Salton Sea has recently been limited by impassible roads due to rain and mud, but could anybody who has checked the Sea in the past couple of days please chime in on whether the absence of boobies there is real or just a function of coverage.  A route from the northern Gulf of California northwest through the Salton Sink and our deserts and on to the coastal slope seems to have been the norm in past booby events, but maybe this incursion has come up the west coast of Baja?

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager

      900 Exposition Blvd.