      If you zoom in on this map and limit it to the current year (http://tinyurl.com/2013boobies) you'll see both these individuals and the recent records around the LA Basin.

      Jesse Ellis
      West Los Angeles

      On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Ed Stonick <edstonick@...> wrote:

      Thanks for the summary of observations Kimball.  I, too, wondered about the distribution of sightings but also why there are so many at once, when most years there are single birds or none at all.  Someone suggested extraordinary nesting success, as most of the birds seen are juveniles.  Could there also be a food problem down south driving the birds up north?

      Good birding,

      Ed Stonick
      Pasadena, CA

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Kimball Garrett
      Sent: Sep 14, 2013 4:56 PM
      To: "calbirds@yahoogroups.com"
      Subject: [CALBIRDS] Pattern of recent Blue-footed Booby records

      In the past three days there have been at least 12 Blue-footed Boobies sighted at three coastal locations and three additional inland locations (5 to 15 miles from the ocean) just within Los Angeles County alone.  Add to these birds seen in the past few days on the lower Santa Ana River in Orange County, in coastal San Diego County at La Jolla, and well inland at Lake Skinner (5 birds) and Borrego Springs (plus a bird at Pt. Reyes), and it's clear there is a major "invasion" going on.  But, shockingly, there has yet to be a single report from the Salton Sea, and nearly every other past invasion involved multiples at the Sea and smaller numbers of individuals farther north and west (including on the coast).  I know that access to some areas of the Salton Sea has recently been limited by impassible roads due to rain and mud, but could anybody who has checked the Sea in the past couple of days please chime in on whether the absence of boobies there is real or just a function of coverage.  A route from the northern Gulf of California northwest through the Salton Sink and our deserts and on to the coastal slope seems to have been the norm in past booby events, but maybe this incursion has come up the west coast of Baja?

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager

      900 Exposition Blvd.

      Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA

      Ed Stonick
      Pasadena, CA

      Jesse Ellis
      Post-doctoral Researcher
      Dept. of Integrative and Comparative Biology,
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic