      From: Kurt Radamaker
      Sent: Sep 5, 2013 12:28 PM
      To: "calbirds@yahoogroups.com"
      Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: News from the California Bird Records Committee

      Hi Doug, Ali
      Before Rosy-faced Lovebird A.K.A Peach-faced Lovebird was officially accepted to the ABA list in 2012, as a member of the Arizona Bird Committee, I often had birders ask me why the Lovebird was not on the Arizona or ABA List. It was clear to AZ birders that Rosy-faced Lovebirds had been established for a long time and had a viable and expanding population in Phoenix. Birders around PHX would see them all the time, and they were hard to miss at popular birding locations like the Gilbert Water Ranch.
      The reason they were not on the AZ State or ABA list was simple. No one had done the research and work to consolidate Lovebird information and publish the results. So around 2008 I decided to research the Lovebird and publish my findings. The first step was to determine the population size and range, so I set up a Lovebird Census in 2009. 65 people participated and we found around 1000 lovebirds that day. Troy Corman and I researched the Lovebirds for the next year and published our results in the peer-reviewed Journal Arizona Birds Online http://www.azfo.org/journal/Rosy-facedLovebird2011.html
      After our research was published, we submitted our findings to the Arizona Bird Committee (ABC) for acceptance to the Arizona State List. On 28 December 2011, the Rosy-faced Lovebird was accepted to the Arizona State List http://abc.azfo.org/news/default.html
      Once Rosy-faced Lovebird was accepted by the ABC, I submitted a formal request to the ABA-CLC to review Rosy-faced Lovebird for acceptance to the ABA list. The submission and journal article were reviewed and Rosy-faced Lovebird was accepted.
      I don't believe bird records committee have any negative bias toward exotics. It is just much harder (requires research, writing, and commitment) to determine whether an exotic species is established over a vagrant occurring in the state. To determine if an exotic is established may take years, the ABA-CLC requires at least 15 years.
      So, if you believe Rose-ringed Parakeets or Black-throated Magpie Jays meet the ABA-CLC criteria http://aba.org/checklist/exotics.html I encourage you to do a census, research, publish and submit your findings to the California Bird Records Committee. I'm sure the CBRC would welcome it. I know the Arizona Bird Committee would.
      Kurt Radamaker
      Cave Creek, AZ

      Ed Stonick
      Pasadena, CA