10770California Bird Tips? From Canada

  • christophermstephens907
    Apr 25 12:23 PM
      I am a birder/field ornithologist from Canada coming to San Fransisco Bay tomorrow, and I will have a couple days for birding, one on the coast, and one for the interior, i.e Sacramento, San Joaquin?

      I am experienced in Canadian birding, but I have not birded California at all yet. So maybe a third of the species will be lifers.

      I am looking for the best places to efficiently spot the following species:

      I am thinking I should check out some spots on the coast, and then head inland. Please advise me of the best regions/spots for these targets.

      Raptor/Owl/Nightjar:

      White-tailed Kite
      Red-Shouldered Hawk
      Praire Falcon
      Flammulated Owl
      Common Poorwill (where, & what time of day)
      Lesser Nighthawk (where & what time)

      Woodpecker: Acorn & Nuttall's

      Allen's Hummingbird
      Mountain Quail

      California Thrasher & Towhee
      Oak Titmouse
      Wrentit
      Ash-throated Flycatcher & Black Phoebe
      Icterid: Great-tailed Grackle, Tricolored Blackbird, Hooded Oriole

      Sparrow (Sage, Black-throated, Black-chinned, Rufous-winged & Grasshopper)

      Greater Roadrunner
      Blue Grosbeak
      Phainopepla
      Yellow-billed Magpie
      Loggerhead Shrike
      White-faced Ibis

      California Least Tern, Black Skimmer, Snowy Plover
      Clapper Rail, Black Rail, Yellow Rail & Common Moorhen

      Goldfinch (Lesser, Lawrence's)
      Yellow-breasted Chat
      Nashville Warbler
      Hermit Warbler?

      Extras? Cassin's Kingbird & Costa's Hummingbird (Not sure if I can get this without heading south of San Francisco/parallell inland areas)

      Also, should I be looking for Sage Thrasher this time of year? If so, what locations?

      Thank you very much,

      Christopher Mark Stephens,
      Parksville, British Columbia, Canada
      Birding Tour Leader, Pacific Rainforest Tours