10486Re: [CALBIRDS] Anyone out there looking for Mottled Petrels?

  • Steve Hampton
    Dec 1, 2012
      FYI, using funds from an oil spill in California, we eradicated rats a few
      years ago from the Big South Cape Islands in New Zealand (see report at
      https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=41023&inline=true)

      The aim was to restore Sooty Shearwaters. However, Mottled Petrels also
      nest there in large numbers and I heard the other day they seemed to be
      coming back strong.

      On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Birders
      >
      > I did a bit of seawatching between storms here at Pt. Pinos in Pacific
      > Grove this morning. In windless conditions there were excellent numbers of
      > birds offshore, especially Northern Fulmars. I'm wondering if anyone else
      > is seeing good numbers from shore?
      >
      > I was hoping to find a Mottled Petrel today (I know, long shot), but hear
      > me out. This year there were unprecedented flights at St. Paul Island, one
      > day with several thousand birds. Check out this report:
      >
      > http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S11419953
      >
      > Several were also seen recently from Boiler Bay in Oregon during a good
      > seabird flight. These strong Pacific storms can displace tubenoses toward
      > shore, but unfortunately there seems to be relatively little wind with
      > these last three storms--at least here in Monterey. What I'm looking for
      > are really strong northwesterlies following one of these big systems, as
      > those are the conditions that produce big seabird flights at Pt. Pinos. If
      > we get those, I think there's a reasonable chance for Mottled Petrel from
      > shore if people put in the time looking. I don't see much wind in the
      > marine forecast for the following week, but I'll be keeping an eye on it!
      > Here's my full checklist from today:
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Brian
      >
      > --